Change

Mod App of the Century

Discussion in 'Mod Applications' started by BoringOfficeGuy, Jun 28, 2017.

1. BoringOfficeGuy

BoringOfficeGuy Deku Scrub

Minecraft Username: AidanThePerson (previously BoringOfficeGuy)
    Why I want to be a mod: Being staff is something that comes very natural to me. I don't really have a reason to not apply for staff, so I'm offering my experience and my openness to adapt to whatever I may need to learn for ZeldaCraft. After 5 years on ZeldaCraft, it's probably time I give this a chance.
    I have a good understanding of the commands a mod uses: I have had two Minecraft servers of my own. The first one (SymphoniaCraft) existed for four months in 2014, and the second one (2020Craft) existed from summer 2015 to autumn 2016. I co-owned 2020Craft, but there was a good bit of co-moderating with my fellow Owners on the server (including virgiltheonly, minichen123, and a few other ZeldaCraft players/staff). I was also one of the first few staff members on RoguePandaCraft; that was a while ago but I figure it's worth mentioning. In addition, I looked at the "Mod Guidelines/Commands" on the application template, and I'm very familiar with all of it.
    I will be responsible, calm, mature, and trustworthy: I will support each of these claims one at a time.
    • Responsible - I'm very good at taking instructions from people. I know what my role is, and I'm very good at carrying out what I can to the best of my ability, and delegating that of which I am not yet capable, because realistically, there are some situations for which I am not the right person.
    • Calm - One benefit of having me as staff is that I can handle a toxic situation without getting emotional. Not that the current staff are not the same, but I do understand being the not-calm person involved in such toxic situations, and having a distant perspective as a moderator as well as an understanding of the people arguing allows me to make a decision calmly.
    • Mature - I can be mature. I am normally told I seem older than I am, but recently I haven't been very mature on ZeldaCraft, because I've stopped directing any care to ZC. If I was staff, my maturity and responsibility would kick in and remind me, as someone in authority, I have to be a good example by strictly abiding by the rules and advocating ethical behavior through my own actions.
    • Trustworthy - I think this is my strongest trait out of the four. I have very very strong personal principles that include a complete abstinence from lies except to protect people, unless the person I'm protecting is the person to whom I'm talking. If I overstep my own personal principles I always apologize. In 2015, over the summer, I said a lot of rude things to people and drove people away, and went back that autumn and apologized to about 6 or 7 people, including several people from ZC; and I publicly apologized to ZeldaCraft for bashing it back then. It's cleaned up very well since then, and so have I.
    Someone's house has been griefed: I calm them down if necessary, and I use /co inspect in several places to verify who it was, whether it be one or multiple people. Then, after confirming who griefed, I /co rollback what they did in a radius encompassing the house and a bit further, maybe inspect some of the other things they might have done with /co lookup, and then ban them for an amount of time according to the amount they griefed. I think typically a 60+ block grief is worth a permanent ban, or multiple 20+ block griefs. 40+ or multiple 15+ griefs are probably a few months. I would take advice from fellow staff on this, because I honestly am not sure how strict the server is on griefing. I tend to be told I am excessively strict about it, so I tried to be looser in my estimates. Feel free to correct me; I don't mind.
    Some users are arguing: If the argument is something unrelated to ZeldaCraft or simply ridiculous, I will assertively tell them to either take their argument off ZeldaCraft or calm down and quit antagonizing one another. If they proceed to continue, I will warn them that they will become victims of /mute, and if necessary I will use that for the amount of time that seems appropriate in the given situation. If they obey without me needing to enforce anything, I will thank them for being mature, hopefully convincing them to avoid such a petty situation from occurring again. However, if the argument is a ZeldaCraft related problem, like one player will not leave another player's house because the other has a sword that the other has claimed or something more complicated. I will try to calm down the situation and reassure them that everyone will get what they want. If one party refuses to comply, I will simply use commands to fix the issue, and maybe mute, kick, or tempban depending on how severe the situation is. When they both, however reluctantly, are ready to listen to my instructions, I will, at least in the example I gave, ask them who made the sword and who got the diamonds and all that, giving them a chance to get their opinions out in an articulate manner, and then I will decide who is right, or I will simply decide neither is right, and I'll get rid of the sword and tell them to stay out of each other's houses.
    A user is hurling abusive language at me: I tell them that whatever they say will not affect me, but it's not appropriate behavior for the server and any more words will result in a mute for an hour. If they continue after the hour, I will warn them that their mute time will continue to triple with every insult. Eventually, if it gets just excessive, I'll tempban them after yet another more-than-fair warning for probably a few weeks. If the abusive behavior is being directed to multiple people they are likely an insensitive troll, and will of course be punished more harshly.
    Someone enters a person's house without permission: I will tell them to leave, and if they don't I'll teleport them to spawn and make sure they don't have any homes set in the person's house or near it. If they do, I will delete said homes, and if they proceed to find their way back to the house I will threaten a tempban (probably about a week, continually doubling as they cause more trouble). Again, if my punishments are too harsh or too lenient of course correct me.

Anyway, that's that. Just thought I'd give it a shot. If you're not looking for staff that's fine. This gave me something to do for like an hour and a half if nothing else. Thanks for your consideration, and also shoutout to my passionate lover, RavvleDavvle.

Ichikuro likes this.
  2. ayden425

ayden425 @TheMelonGod

Pretty good app! But Wow your ban requirements is WAY too low. 60+ for permaban!? I wouldn't permaban anyone for that low, even if it was straight diamond blocks! You also have to think about their first and up offenses. How many times they've done it, they're behavior towards the server and other players in general, etc. You're WAY to strict with you ban times! I mean, look at mine. Even that's just a tad bit strict. You're punishments in general are just too strict. Tone those down a bit, be a bit more descriptive, and you'll have a good chance!

P.S.
    Looking at other successful apps and using those for inspiration is a good idea
    P.P.S.
    I'm mod, just not on forums yet

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  3. BoringOfficeGuy

BoringOfficeGuy Deku Scrub

Yeah I thought they might be excessive but I don't really have a good frame of reference since I always had lower ban requirements on my own server. I can tone it down for this if need be.