Change

Future of ZC

Discussion in 'ZeldaCraft' started by Mark, Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark Admin Staff Member

So most people will be aware by now I decided to demote one of our long-time admins, Mergu. A lot of players are very understandably concerned about the server and what lies ahead for it, especially in regards to ZC's lingering problems (e.g. our host).

Regarding the demotion, it was not a decision I took lightly and I have a huge appreciation for what Mergu has done for us (as I do with all ZC staff) even if I might not show it as much as I should. I can't say I have any malice towards Mergu. At the same time, it was very obvious that he wanted to make his own project and ultimately go his separate ways with ZC (which of course he is perfectly entitled to do and he owes me nothing in that regard). But I have experienced this kind of situation numerous times before, and often things can turn very ugly and honestly I would prefer to cut ties now amicably rather than let it get out of hand. I know many will be disappointed but I ask the decision be respected.

As for the future of ZC - I know there have been problems with lag and content and other things. I want people to know I intend to do my best to help fix these problems. The main focus at the moment has been planning for a new host, without the lag problems we have now. The S1 reset will go a long way towards this, because S1 currently takes up an obscene amount of space and right now for many hosts we simply take up too much disk space. We will also be holding a donation drive of some sort to help pay for the new server too - this will likely manifest in some new additions to the ZC store, which I hope people will find fun and fair.

So whilst things seem hectic now, ZC is not disappearing any time soon and we have every intention of making it enjoyable as possible. I hope this post has cleared things up at least somewhat, but feel free to ask any questions / raise concerns.

2. nasfi

nasfi Soufla Staff Member

Then why didnt you message Mergu in the first place to clear things up?

Kozuta, Konata, Mergu and 2 others like this.
  3. Halt19

Halt19 Hylian Knight

I've been on ZC for longer than I can remember, and Mergu has pretty much always been there. He's been one of the driving forces that kept the server afloat for a long time, and he is still one of the most active contributors or new content and such to our little community. I'm sorry, but I can't understand this, as, as far as I can see, it will serve mostly as a deterrent to players who also appreciate how much Mergu has done. With all due respect, he's been the glue that held the server together for the past few years when you and the other senior staff went AWOL. He was the only senior staff member (admin and up) that was ever online for a significant amount of time (and DCaff sometimes as well), and I'm afraid that this decision will drive people away from the server, as he was (and still is) an extremely popular figure, due to all the time and effort he's invested in the server. I'm not trying to be disrespectful or cheeky, but I'm very concerned about this choice, especially after everything that, to put it bluntly, Mergu did when nobody else would.

4. Mergu

Mergu Normie Staff Member

It never was, and still is not, my intention to leave this server. My demotion came without warning, without notice, and without discussion. I wish this could have been settled more responsibly.

Ichikuro, Kozuta, Konata and 5 others like this.
  5. JCondorDoes

JCondorDoes Hylian Knight

I've been on the server since I was in 7th or 8th grade, one of the "old" players if you will, and I agree with what Halt had said, Mergu has been here when no one else was, when others were busy, he was working on new features or making things exciting for the players. I still remember when my HP got stuck at 3 hearts, but I didnt complain because I actually welcomed that. With all due respect, I am thankful for you continuing ZC, but if you had mentioned this with Mergu before the demotion, and giving him ample time before then, maybe to potentially finish anything he was working on, none of us would take it so hard if there was at least a little warning. Even so, it is your decision, and we all will respect it, and I can somewhat see what you are concerned about, I just think that maybe there should've been a little more warning before hand.

6. DarkMarshal

DarkMarshal Disneylandlord of your intellectual property Staff Member

Hi Mark, I completely understand your decision, as there have been times when people have created spin-offs and crap like that, which seem to hurt the server, but the only point to this new server thing was to have a place big enough to put an RPG world that all players in the community would play on, between our two servers. Mergu, as well as a few other admins, are the only ones with access to ftp and all that good coding stuff which lets us players actually interact with this cool stuff, Mergu being a great bastion of all this cool stuff.

Instead of demoting Mergu outright, I think it would've been more appropriate and professional to talk it out with him at length, in case of any prejudices you thought this new thing might have been about. Even then, you could've asked Mergu not to have gone through with the plan and I'm sure, being the chill guy he is, he would've agreed not to go ahead with it as long as you could work with him more on the server.

We all love ZC which is why we want something to be done with and make it awesome, but without people like Mergu I can't see it happening nearly as easy as it could be. Unfortunately, and I don't blame you for it, you haven't been around too much and don't seem to interact with us nearly as much as a server host should. At times you are like a spoken myth or god among players, and a lot of people don't even know who you are.

I don't expect you to listen to me, but if I were you I'd have a long chat with Mergu and figure something out, and then hopefully you can solve how to make the original server the best it can be, with you two working together with us.

Lots of love,
    Disney

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  7. nasfi

nasfi Soufla Staff Member

Oh and also, Mergu was here when I needed him, and when other players needed him. I remember the 1.12 dupe, he imediatly got in to fix it, and he did it successfully in under 30 minutes, as well as he patched many money glitches, he re-made the /warp shops to be able for new players to know which item is which, as well as he added more stuff to the shops, he was in the middle of making a very fun minigame as well, hide and seek, which is a very great idea for people to explore builds, have fun, and bring joy to people, as he was planning some mini events to bring more activity to the place, and he also was making the /zc shops, which would be very helpful for when you're building and you wont need to tp away of your place. But I dont really know if we will ever see those things completed, and it's very sad to just throw those ideas out of the window for a missunderstanding.

8. PicaroRob

PicaroRob Triforce Sage

I will respect your decision, but only because I know I can't argue back as much as my heart tells me to. Everyone is saying that you should have talked it out with him first, though, and I completely agree there.

ZeldaFan, Ichikuro, Tenshiv3 and 5 others like this.
  9. kenziebrown

kenziebrown Ginger

Talking with mergu instead of immediately fearing the worse and taking preemptive action would have been a better idea in the long run. Mergu has been a big part of the community since before he was a staff member and while he's still around, he won't have the power he's had which has been a huge part in pushing the server forward. I understand why you took the action you did after having situations worse then this look similar in the past and more communication should've been done by both merg and you on the subject of the rpg test server. That being said, the community is taken aback by this sudden action and they might not feel so great about it. I suggest either merg or you opening a dialogue so you can both understand each other's actions and understand everything that has been going on.

PicaroRob, ZeldaFan, Tenshiv3 and 6 others like this.
  10. ayden425

ayden425 @TheMelonGod

I understand you intentions, Mark, but your actions were silly. Mergu has spent hours, and hours into ZC to help it out, and in one fell swoop you took that away from him, and ZC as a whole. I've seen him work as hard as he does, as I've personally helper him dev for the server. He's been on for as long as i can remember, and one of my closest friends. You, on the other hand, have been pretty inavtive for the past 4 years. You came back, undid some of Merg's work, and got rid of him at the wisp of an addition to ZC; 2.0. 2.0 was going to be the RPG system we were going to create it on ZC, but we decided to take it to a new server for effiency. We were improving ZC, and you're doing the opposite. ZC isn't ZC without Mergu for multiple reasons, and you just destroyed one of them. I'm sorely dissapointed in your decision to demote him.

11. Charles the Uzi

Charles the Uzi Hylian Citizen

In my opinion, Mark acted very haste fully on this decision. From what I can tell, this wasn't talked about with any staff members whatsoever. If that is the case, I think it was a little childish for Mergu's demotion.

12. Kozuta

Kozuta Space Cowboy Staff Member

I haven't been on the server nearly as long as most people have, but I acknowledge and very much appreciate the work Merg has put in to furthering it. ZC has the most amazing community I've ever been a part of, and seeing something like this happen saddens me, but at the same time, I am reminded of how much I love this community when I see the support everyone is showing for Merg. I too, think you should have talked to Merg before making this decision and not just randomly doing it. This seemed very unprofessional to me, and I think things could have turned out better, had you talked to him about this situation.

Much love and support for Merg,
    -Nick

PicaroRob, ZeldaFan, Tenshiv3 and 2 others like this.
  13. Konata

Konata Waifu

Hey Mark.
    I understand why you did this and I really respect you a lot. However, Mergu is a really good admin. I believe not having him on the team anymore would hurt ZeldaCraft. He spend hours and hours into ZC to make it as fun and enjoyable as possible for everyone. He’s a really nice and fun guy. Please rethink this. I apologize if this message contains broken English. It’s very late but I’m doing this for my pal. Thank you, Mak.

ZeldaFan, Halt19, Tenshiv3 and 4 others like this.
  14. PerishSong

PerishSong Deku Scrub

I don't really know either parties very well here, but just from seeing people talk about 2.0; it definitely seemed like it was going to be a remake of OG ZC. People were constantly talking about it on server, even talking about what warps they wanted to take with them, and originally there was talk of porting over peoples builds from survival to the new server.

If ya'll wanted to make a new server, it would have probably been best to do it privately, and away from the main server. Looking forward to still seeing you around ZC, mergu!

Ichikuro likes this.
  15. Mergu

Thankfully that was not the goal of the rpg server :). Staying on the public discord for more than an hour after its creation would have revealed that. My public post there from a few days ago:

upload_2017-12-10_21-7-6.png

16. PerishSong

PerishSong Deku Scrub

(In response to a deleted comment.)
    I'm in no manner trying to say that the people of ZC were trying to 'corrupt the server'. I'm saying that things could be handled differently, and openly speaking about taking builds on server probably wasn't the best course of action. Please don't try and manipulate my words to make yours look more sensational.

Also, I'm unsure why you're speaking as if Mergu is leaving the server. He hasn't been banned, his items taken or any other thing. He hasn't lost any friends, or respect. He's also openly said he'll continue playing on the server.

I think it may be better to just give this a chance to cool down, and move on from there. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2017
    Ichikuro and Blue_MoonWolf like this.
  17. Kozuta

Kozuta Space Cowboy Staff Member

Even saying such things as a joke will completely defeat the purpose of our responses. If you actually care about this matter, you'd take it more seriously than you are. "Jokes" aren't what we need right now, as they will do nothing but make Mark stop taking us seriously.

18. Mergu

In light of transparency,

upload_2017-12-11_4-58-34.png
    upload_2017-12-11_4-59-25.png
    upload_2017-12-11_5-0-42.png
    upload_2017-12-11_5-2-31.png
    upload_2017-12-11_5-3-50.png

I'll be sure to keep you all updated. Going to sleep for now

PicaroRob, nasfi, JCondorDoes and 4 others like this.
  19. TravisTouchdown

TravisTouchdown Dori-Kin Staff Member

So....
    From what I could tell te demotion process was one-sided and should've been handled out much better.
    But if we're talking about ZC 2.0 that would be a total crapshoot for me. Our initial intentions were infact to make a seperate server of the RPG world which our current, that being Fluctis, can't handle. We know that switching to a new host has been in the talks for almost a year now, but due to set plan not making any progess whatsoever, we decided to try our hands on a dedi.
    We had no intention to leave 1.0 in the dust like most may claim.

nasfi, JCondorDoes and ZeldaFan like this.
  20. JCondorDoes

JCondorDoes Hylian Knight

Alright Mark, now that its been brought up more directly that the RPG world was something that I had been working on for nearly THREE YEARS. And this isn't the only project that I had been working on for the server that had been deemed way to big for the server. I have been worldpainting the entirety of Breath of the Wild. There is no realistic way for it to be on server unless we were on some better hardware and had more space. upload_2017-12-11_8-36-52.png
    There is no feasible way for this to be on the server with it scaled properly, and I'm not even done with this. There is plenty more to do. And the possibility of this being on 2.0, which is referred to as "ZeldaCraft 2.0" for the sole reason of keeping it affiliated with the Original ZeldaCraft. I can understand the misconception that it was going to replace, but all talk of survival were mainly the wishes of players, not that those wishes would be coming true at any point. The RPG world was the only goal for the time, and maybe if there was no way at all to host the entire Breath of the Wild world on Original ZeldaCraft, that could be a possibility of hosting it on 2.0 so that I could have assistance with a project which is STILL intended for this community, The fact that you had demoted Mergu for simply looking out for the community, and making some of the things that are impossible on the Original server due to the host, Mergu would've done. For the community. You have disregarded the works of this community out of the first impression of a fear that wasn't actually there. It is similar to a conspiracy theory. We had absolutely no intention to usurp your server, many of us love it to death and attempt to play on it whenever we can, but the fact that you, Mark, had taken things out of context, without even asking any questions, has severely damaged the community.
    upload_2017-12-11_8-45-52.png
    This is the third attempt of the rpg world, as I was dissatisfied with the original 2 and my skills have improved since then. There is no fear to be had, as I have been working on this for 3 years for the community. I have done several worldpainter projects for the server, one of the main ones is the Great Plateau as a potential new spawn. You want to see the progress on that? Log on and go to my home "GP." There isn't any fear to be had, as I ensure that everything I do is FOR the server. You see my thread about a new s2? That is for the server. For the community. I have been working hard for this community trying to save the admins, mods, builders, everyone hundreds, maybe THOUSANDS of hours in order to speed up many builds. I am in the progress of converting models from various games into heightmaps to speed up builds of different Zelda worlds, but without the necessary space, and without someone able to actively help import these projects into the server, It is simply asinine to believe that this is feasible.

ZeldaFan and PicaroRob like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.