Change

EpucPhail - Mod Application 0

Discussion in 'Mod Applications' started by John Catron, Sep 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Catron

John Catron Deku Scrub

Hello there! At this point I feel like many of you know me but for anyone who hasn't interacted with me much, I am Epuc. I joined the server quite recently but I like to feel I am already a valued member of the community. I work hard to push the server and the staff forward as often as I can in any way that I can. I joined ZC because Mergu became my roommate and I was interested to see what took so much of his attention/time every day. It had been quite a while since I played Minecraft at all but joining in on the server was a blast and as most of you know I quickly explored ways to exploit the economy you guys have and flood the market with Mending books :D

Since cornering the market on enchants, I have moved on to other pursuits. Most recently I actually wrote the denizen scripts to add a series of crafting recipes with entire progression chains of materials culminating in a set of Mythril tools and the envious Triforce Blade. Then, after scripting for the server, my spare computer actually became the server. As of yesterday (from time of writing this) my old desktop computer was fashioned into a server to run ZC for us on some better hardware.

Basically, I love helping people and I love pushing the the server forward. At all times I will be striving to make _something_ better than it was before. Whether that something is economy or crafting or TPS.

EpucPhail
    EST
    29 years old

Why I want to be a mod:
    I like helping people. I like being the person that people come to with problems and even more than that I like being able to be the one that DOES solve them. I have not been on the server long but I like to think most players already know they can come to me with an issue and I will find a way to solve it for them. I also want to be a mod partially as a step toward admin because I enjoyed the bit of scripting I did to add the new recipes and I would like to earn the freedom to be able to do things like that more often. Whether my application is accepted or not I'll continue helping everyone as best I can within my abilities, Mod to me just means I have more tools to help more people.

Do you have a good understanding of the commands a mod uses: For full disclosure I am actually Not super familiar with most of the commands we use. I am, however, as software developer who runs commands/code like these for a living every single day in a production system with millions of users. I understand well the risks involved with these commands and already have internalized best practices to make sure all commands are verified with research rather than just trying to type them from memory. While I don't know the literal commands I do understand what powers we have (from looking into our plugins) and will quickly learn everything I can do (and maybe even add more abilities ;)

Will you be calm, mature, responsible, and trustworthy?: I like to think I handle stress better than most. It is extremely difficult to get on my nerves or anger me and even when you do I'm still very good at controlling my actions and response to be measured and proportionate. As for maturity, I like to think that being an adult with full-time employment and a spouse lends me a bit of a more level head over some of our younger and more enthusiastic staff. I will always strive to make sure that any actions I take are justified.

1.) Someone's house has been griefed, what do you do?: I would go to the players house and inspect the broken blocks, and then rollback the damage. This rollback would give me a general sense of how much damage was done and act as a gauge for how I should approach the offender. First offenses unless very extreme would obviously just get a better explanation of what you can and cannot do on the server but particularly egregious griefs or repeated offenses would result on a harsher punishment. I would often err toward a temp ban first so that we can discuss with other mods and admins to see if they have seen negative behavior from the same user but if it is clearly deserved I am not against a permaban to remove scum from our server.

2.) Some users are arguing, what do you do?: This question feels vague (possibly intentionally). Most arguments will sort themselves out relatively quickly with no impact to other players. If the subject matter or length of the argument threatens to interfere with other player(s) enjoyment then I would start to step in but MOST arguments never reach that point. If i had to though I would probably start with asking the players to switch to DMs as attempting to fully stop an argument usually results in more arguing. If the players refuse to switch to DM then I would kick all involved as a warning that I am being serious about the argument. If the fighting continued past that point I would mute them for a short while with a very clear warning that any continuation after mute ended would result in a tempban.

3.) A user is hurling abusive language at you, what do you do?: This entirely depends on the abusive language. If someone is merely being disrespectful I'd likely just whisper them and let them know I didn't appreciate it. There are some points (like throwing around N-Bomb in general chat) where they would no longer get the courtesy of a warning and I would skip directly to a tempban at minimum. Everyone likes to poke fun with each other but there are some lines that shouldn't be crossed. Assuming the user isn't being _that_ bad however usually a warning and kick/mute situation similar to the argument above would be my methodology.

4.) Someone enters another person's house without their permission, what do you do?: I would inform them that they shouldn't be messing around in other players' houses. If they don't leave or repeat the offense this seems like what jail was made for. Jail to me feels like a fun way to introduce people (who have misbehaved) to our server's spirit. If you do something wrong will of course punish you but at the same time I like to think the fact we have taken the time to build a brig would also let people know we have fun on this server so it will be worth sticking around to get to know everyone a bit more. Initial jail time would probably only be 5-10 minutes if all they are doing is tresspassing but repeat offenses obviously longer and possible tempbans.

Thanks for taking the time to read application. I know I'm still very new so whether I'm accepted or not I look forward to playing with and hopefully even helping all of you!

Andre and SuSAliens like this.
  2. Mergu

Mergu Drowning Staff Member

who is this guy? never heard of him

my vote is a pretty obvious yes

SuSAliens likes this.
  3. mrwobblers

mrwobblers Hylian Knight

Biggo yes

SuSAliens likes this.
  4. nasfi

nasfi Soufla

My vote will be a yes only if you live in the same house as Mergu

Oh wait...

All jokes aside. Since the first time you joined, I've never had any problems with you. I'm very positive that no other person probably has had issues with you either. You're a very good person. It's fun having you around in voice chats, goofing around, and having fun really. It would also be nice having you as a helping hand, because I know you have a good critical thinking in many situations. You have previously helped many others and you can help even more people. Basically, you've earned my trusted to the max

SuSAliens likes this.
  5. Neemfy

Neemfy Hylian Citizen

Big big BIG YES!

nasfi and SuSAliens like this.
  6. DarkMarshal

DarkMarshal Disneylandlord of your intellectual property

Fat ole Yes

I, and I'm sure others, would love to work with you, not only with normal mod stuff, but especially the new coding stuff you bring to the table - it opens up a whole host of possibilities that I personally have been wanting for a while!

brassow2007, nasfi and SuSAliens like this.
  7. virgil

virgil Hylian Knight

An absolute yes from me. I'm sure you'll do lots of good for the server.

8. greenleeuw

greenleeuw Hylian Knight

Do i even need to type an answer?

Even though you are pretty new you fit well into the community. I have never heard about or seen any problems with you involved. The times i have spoken with you you where indeed very kind and i see that you want to help others. Not knowing the commands is most times a red flag but sitting next to an admin may speed up your learning time even more. Also from personal experience i can say that most software developers are extremely quick learners. With all this combined i will give you your 7th yes
    Very solid app btw.

9. Banned_

Banned_ Banned

You're not even a staff member atm and you've invested so much into this server whether it be time or your coding skills. You're active and very helpful. Your understanding of the server is better than some who have played for a lot longer than you.
    big
    big
    YES

10. Zeldagirl01

Zeldagirl01 Deku Scrub

I haven't known you very long, but you seem overqualified for the job. You've always been sweet and fun to be around, and I'm sure Mergu won't let you slack off ;)
    My vote is of course
    YES!

11. Ichikuro

Ichikuro Bow wow. I am dog.

Well, I’ve been pondering this one...

(Just kidding, I’ve been at work!). The app is solid honestly. I like it. Yeah it doesn’t go to the T with what we want others to post but you did it exactly how I feel it should be done. There’s never a perfect situation for punishments, or warning players. Each situation should be handled with unbiased judgement.

So for that I think you got it. As for learning Minecraft commands, I had zero knowledge starting out. Not hard to pick up, especially with your room mate there to help out ;)

Sorry for the wall of text. Just glad to get a good app in every once in awhile :p. Yes from me

12. Ichikuro

Ichikuro Bow wow. I am dog.

Congratulations!

Thread Locked <3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.